Snow day Språng

The next learning goal is holes.

I love holes! I love knitting holes. I'm going to learn bobbin lace one day. And my lovely språng mentor can make net using a series of holes. I have made eyelets before, so today's the day! The snow is pretty but I will be staying inside.

Miscalculation #1 - I grabbed the nearest string which was way too fine for a learning project.

I finally got the frame warped and started going for it.

Plain weave... Ok so far.

For the eyelets, I started on a single pickup row and did the pick one drop two, pick two drop one pattern. Being clever, I knew I had to reverse it so I did pick two drop one, pick one drop two for the second row.

Not quite. I re read Halima's instructions and realized I missed the plain u1d1 row in between. Ok so I tried that, then offsetting the second row and...

Still no 🤣

I threw together a practice warp to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm used to things coming easy to me so this is a bit frustrating. 

On the practice, I did holes of u2/d2. Then I did the eyelets (over six threads) for comparison. I think I see a difference and I think I'm starting to get it.

Almost there. Had some breakfast/brunch, talked to the kids, unraveled the practice warp and tried again. I figured it had to be a four row repeat. So that's what I did.

I knew it involves b2/f2, so did that as the first row, then plain b/f for row two as per instructions. This time, to offset row 3, I picked up one back, dropped 1 front, then continued with b2/f2 to the end. Then row 4 back to plain b/f. And look!!

Feeling pretty happy now. I was doing the wrong row four (picking up 2 at the start) and that's one major place it was all falling apart.

I liked the look of the fine crochet cotton thread, and am looking forward to circling back once my skills are improved.

YIS
AW

Popular posts from this blog

Zurich in Adelheid's time - papermills

Eyelets