Attempt 2 at a smocked apron

I have decided to take a second try at the honeycomb smocked apron.

I wanted the apron to be narrower and longer than the first one I made, so I started with a piece of medium linen 75 cm wide and 95 cm long. 

With a little help from Des, we hemmed the sides about 1/2 cm wide. Then I prepared for the smocking by making 6 rows of dots 1cm apart.

(More dots. More dots. Ok, stop dots.)

I tried hard to follow the grain and it was a bit tiresome but worth the attention. I ran a stitch through and pulled the threads to create my pleats.

I really like pleating. It's so satisfying. There's a couple lumps and bumps in there but nothing too alarming.

I did the honeycomb smocking stitch in rows 1 cm apart, roughly, 2 rows at a time.

I used a waxed, undyed linen thread that is close to grey. Once complete, I snipped out the gathering threads and WOW. Lovely, crisp smocking.

I'm so much happier with this smocking than the first apron I did. One thing I'll do for next time is add a gathering row on top and below to help hold the pleats nicely in place while working on them.

Last was to make the ties and bind the body to the waistband. I didn't really think about the waist before I started and struggled with how to manage the gathered fabric. But with no time to waste, I jumped in and figured it out as I went.

I pulled threads for 3 4 inch strips of white linen, then made 1 inch tape out of them.


Then I folded the top of the apron over twice, under the recommendation of Des, who says that if you don't, then they will slowly unravel. It made it bulky after I pinned the tiny pleats flat. I pushed them all to the same side but I'm wondering if I could have done mini box pleats, which would kept the top of the smocking a little crisper. It didn't matter in the end for this garment, however good thoughts for a future garment.


I ran a little whip stitch in silk to hold everything in place. 


See, it all looks ok, mostly flat. In need of a manicure.


Finally I attached the waist band to it all and whip stitched again along both the front and back. 


Whoops, I pointed the pins the wrong way...


That's better! No more sewing into the points, or as Neil calls them, "the bees".

Once the band was attached, I gave it a hard press to try to flatten it out as much as possible. I used a soft white eraser on the dots which took care of most of the freckles, and will give it a gentle wash when it's fully finished. Next time, dots will go on the back. In the end, I'm very happy with how that section turned out.

The last step was to stitch the straps together with a backstitch in silk. I pressed the two sides open to reduce some bulk once the pieces were folded together, and then marked out where I wanted the running stitch along the length of the straps. I'm debating doing a decorative stitch across the waistband in the same white linen I used for the straps, but not now.


I give this one a 9 out of 10, vision to reality. This is a serviceable piece, all hand stitched from period materials. I really like how the smocked section is a feature piece and stands out. 

Once GS is over I plan to gift it to Mistress Desiree for all her help with my gown.


I am debating making another apron in black for GS. But every time I make something in black I swear I'll never do it again!

Popular posts from this blog

Snow day Språng

Zurich in Adelheid's time - papermills

Eyelets